Friday, April 2, 2010

Coach K Guesses It's Okay if the PL Gets Two Teams in a 96-Team Tournament...If They HAVE To

Just a quick hit this morning, from this article about expanding the NCAA tournament field and getting rid of the NIT:

"Keeping conference tournaments intact was a concern for Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski.

'What you do with conference tournaments is important,' he said. 'You might have to have them end [earlier]. I think you should still have them. If we do go that far, the people who should be rewarded are the regular-season champs. I think you should still have them in there. Then you should have your conference tournaments and the winners of those should go in, too. If the Patriot League gets two teams in, so be it. That’s good. I would still like to have the conference tournaments. They make a lot of money and it’s a way of each conference celebrating their conference, and I think that’s a good thing.'"

Because it would really be so. freaking. terrible. for some more smaller conferences to be in the tourney? Normally I like Coach K, but today, you can die in a Cameron Indoor Arena fire, pal. Oh, and lose to WVU so I win my office pool please. Thanks.

EDIT: Per usual, Steve has corrected me. His categorization of my post as a gross misunderstanding of Coach K's quote is correct, he wants to reward the regular season champions, which would help smaller conferences like the PL. What I would really like to see under this system is for there to be a stipulation that if the regular season winner also wins the conference championship that they are guaranteed to be in the top 32 teams (so they get a first round bye). That'd be nice, because otherwise you could put both teams from the PL (regular season and tourney champ) in the bottom 64. Don't like that so much. I do owe Coach K an apology. Sorry, Coach K, but I still want you to lose to WVU so I win my office pool. Daddy needs some homebrewing equipment.

Also, thanks to Steve. Commenter of the week award goes to you my friend.

Pro deo et patria and GO EAGLES!



2 comments:

  1. I think you are grossly misunderstanding Coach K's position. he is fully in support of full conference representation.

    He is saying that if the tournament is expanded, the NCAA should guarantee that all regular season conference champions be included in the NCAA tournament, even if they do not win their posteseason conference tournamant.

    I see this as being ultra supportive of the PL and other conferences like it. Thsi way, the PL might get two teams in the tourney without having the second be an at-large bid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See my edit, Steve, you're right. I misread that. Thanks for your help, per usual

    ReplyDelete