Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Flood Watch" in Effect as Eagles Roster Swells to 17

 
Image Courtesy The Washington Post

The official roster on AUEagles.com grew this evening as the freshman class received their numbers, and a surprise third player was added. Sophomore Warren Flood, who attended American University last year but did not play basketball, has officially joined the team. 

The 6'2" guard previously played for Bullis High School in Maryland, where he was an "undersized player who excelled in the post", according to DCSportsFan.com in May of 2009. After his junior season, he had not yet received interest from any college teams. After playing in a number of tournaments and invitationals his senior season, he only ended up garnering interest from Division 3 schools. A strong desire to play in Division 1 led him to AU, where he sought a walk-on role.

Flood said in 2009, "I wanted a challenge. I want to prove people wrong. I want them to see the kind of dedication I truly possess. People still doubt my ability to make the team at American University, but knowing myself, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It appears his raw tenacity has paid off, and I can only assume he had to spend a year proving himself on the practice squad to get here. 


Will his addition to the team open the "Floodgates" to another NCAA Tournament appearance? That remains to be seen. Fact is, we're already pretty much swimming (har har) in guards right now, and unless he has some real talent I can't see him coming off the bench too often. However Warren has worked incredibly hard to don the Red, White, and Blue, and truly exemplifies what it means to be an Eagle. I plan to cheer my lungs out the second he first steps foot on the hardwood.


In related news, Wayne Simon and Tony Wroblicky have been officially added to the roster as well, and assigned numbers 4 and 34 respectively. Phew, what an exciting few days! Is it November yet?


Pro Deo Et Patria and GO EAGLES!
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment