Thursday, June 10, 2010

Stephen Lumpkins Drafted in the 42nd Round of the MLB Draft. No, You're Not Misreading. [UPDATED]

In what is undoubtedly the weirdest piece of news I've heard this week, fan-beloved AU center Stephen Lumpkins has been drafted in the 42nd Round of the MLB Draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

I'll let you take a minute to pick your jaw up off the floor.

Apparently when Lump found out he was eligible to be drafted, he decided to take part of the spring to get his arm back in shape. I imagine he's probably a pretty wicked pitcher. 6'8" with a big frame, he certainly could look the part in a jersey. He's even been playing in some American Legion games this summer.

My immediate reaction was "oh no," but I don't think we have a whole lot to worry about in terms of Lump leaving. He knows he's a cornerstone of this team and I'd be stunned if he left it, or AU, before he gets his degree. If I had to guess, and from what you can read in the article, it sounds like he just thinks it's cool to be able to say he was drafted by an MLB team. I'll try to get some comment from him about this and report back.

On another note, since one of our commenters suggested I should give them a shout-out, it turns out AU now has a club baseball team that played its first season this past spring. They notched a 10-7 record from what I can see, which is certainly respectable for a team in their first year.

That's it for now. Updates as I get them on this bizarre, a little funny, and more than a little awesome story.

UPDATE: According to Associate Athletic Director for Communications, Nancy Yasharoff, Athletics is "really excited about it...we're really excited for him." She indicated that Lumpkins is playing baseball for the Bethesda Big Train, an amateur wooden bat baseball team in the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League. She indicated that Lump may pitch for a few innings tomorrow night at Povich Field. Yasharoff said that the coaches "absolutely know about" his playing baseball. I, regretfully, neglected to ask her if she knew which way Lumpkins was leaning in terms of continuing with basketball at AU or going the route of baseball. I thought that it was unlikely he would leave the team, so I didn't bother to ask her. Guess I should have. I'd guess it depends on the contract they offer him. Crazy opportunity for Lumpkins, but a potentially devastating loss for AU men's basketball.

Pro deo et patria and GO EAGLES!

10 comments:

  1. I would put money on us being the only D1 school without a baseball team to have players drafted by the MLB.

    On that note, I'd love to have a baseball team again. It's been 24 years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be so sure of him not signing if the Pirates offer real money. He's two years away from a degree and any contract in a situation like this would include money to finish college. He could pitch minor league ball and still have his degree within four more years.

    If Pittsburgh didn't think they had a chance to sign him, they wouldn't have drafted him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AUEagles.com just put the story up:

    http://aueagles.com/sports/m-baskbl/2010-11/releases/20100610

    I have my fingers crossed he stays. We need The Lump, no question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EagleGawker said...
    I would put money on us being the only D1 school without a baseball team to have players drafted by the MLB.

    ---------

    I hope you didn't put much money on it. This isn't that uncommon, and Lumpkins was not the only player drafted this year from a school with no baseball team. A player from Northern Iowa was in the same boat, and there may have been others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update from The Eagle:

    Update When reached for comment, Lumpkins told The Eagle that he is currently preparing for next basketball season with AU. He will still be playing baseball this summer and does not have to make a decision on whether he will sign with the Pirates until August 16th which is the deadline for draftees.

    He has spoken with Head Coach Jeff Jones since being drafted and said that Jones congratulated him on the news. Lumpkins said that when the time comes he’ll speak with his family and Coach Jones to figure it all out. The Eagle will have updates in the coming weeks on his decision.

    As a sophomore last season, Lumpkins averaged 13 PPG and 8.5 RPG for the Eagles.


    ---------

    Let us not forget the incredible opportunity this is for him. That is what school is all about, creating opportunities for yourself. Good for Lump.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Let us not forget the incredible opportunity this is for him. That is what school is all about, creating opportunities for yourself. Good for Lump."

    Agreed. I am happy for him, it's an unbelievable opportunity. There is no escaping the reality that the team would miss him though. The two are mutually exclusive, you can be happy for Lump and worried about the team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From american.edu - “I'd like to pursue a career in professional baseball,” [Lumpkins] says.

    I, too, am happy for him, but for the sake of the basketball team I hope he stays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That same article also states he hasn't made any decisions and has until August to do so. The Eagle reports that he's gearing up to play basketball next season. So, I wouldn't look too much into a single line I somewhat cherry-picked for effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The story has made the front page of american.edu

    ReplyDelete